Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Robbed

It's amazing...
  • We allocate a portion of our monthly savings for insurance to protect ourselves and our loved ones should an unlikely accident strike us, so we don't have to worry about life robbing us of financial security.
  • We spend a part of our savings in security features for home, car(s)... That we may deter and detect anyone who has the guts to try and rob us of our personal belongings.

But...
We would allow a little glitch in our night or evening, to rob us of the joy the rest of the whole day has brought.
e.g. Terrible traffic jam on the way home, a sudden assignment turning up, a ditched appointment, headaches, an "overly honest and sincere" comment from a friend...

Okay, as much as I said "we", that's really pretty much Mi =) At least, I hope, who I
used to be =P You see, I wouldn't be able to help feeling down even when the whole day has been SO GreaT if this or that came along midway or towards the end of the day. What's worse, I'd allow it to make me "emo" through the night. But hey, isn't it sad? That an absolutely positively perfect day just HAD to have something wrong in it?

Well, one night, one of our (Mi & Me's) conversations opened my eyes..
Me: " I don't get it, how is it you can have such a wonderful day with Daddy, be SO happy about everything that has happened in the day, but choose to let this little, little thing bug you SO much! That you can't appreciate everything else that has happened anymore!" [Note: Of course this is not verbatim! (My memory is not fantastic ^-^) But it was along these lines =P]

Needless to say, I got defensive. But Me had a point- Why can't I make the effort to look past that little bad spot in a beautiful day and choose to be happy with everything else especially when what was wonderful was so much more?

Some time or other, later, as we took a break from studies and entered into another one of our usual conversations on Daddy...
Me:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:4,6-7]

Mi: Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. [1 Thessalonians 5:16-18]

Touche.

I may have insurance, carry with me protective devices, use lock and keys to secure my belongings, but I've failed to guard my heart and mind against the little sad things that come into my day and try to ruin it for me. Failed to rejoice and be happy- which is what God wants for me since now I have Jesus Christ in my life and things are not suppose to be like this. I'm suppose to pray with thankfulness in everything and enjoy the peace that comes after entrusting it all to God...

What happened?

I guess in my course of securing my future (studying hard), I've become so focused on wanting to enjoy what's good, I've become obsessive compulsive about any hint of bad in it.
How silly of me! When I've always been one to say "it's the bad that makes the good much better"- allowing us to appreciate the good things in life much more!

Well, that's that. It's a new dawn, a new day, a new life with new mercies, new spirit and new hopes, fresh from Daddy! So ya, as you make your way through the rest of your days, I hope you'll remember to secure your heart and mind- guard it. It requires you to invest in it too- time, in prayer.

Agape,
Mi ^-^

p.s. When I said "I
may have insurance, carry with me protective devices, use lock and keys to secure my belongings"- it's not to state that I actually do. It's meant as an illustration. *Pictures myself holding pepper spray in one hand and my handbag chained with a huge lock in the other*... O.O I must be overstressed.

4 comments:

bookatitle said...

Hahaha.. Pepper spray and handbag's lock?? Hehehe.

I'm very happy to read your post (as reading this blog has been so far :P). God bless you girls! ^^

Anonymous said...

i would say that 'twould be highly unwise to actually have a huge lock 'securin'' you ladies' handbag, 'cos chances are, the key to unlock your humongous lock to access into your ginormous handbag is stashed amidst a clutter of 'secrets' unbeknowest to e'vryone else 'cept the owner of the handbag who now finds herself in a predicament of not bein' able to access into her own handbag because the key to open the lock is locked inside, erm... we get the irony 'ere already lah. ;p Anyways, wonderful insight Mich... got me thinkin'. ;)

Anonymous said...

LoL!! I find it so hilarious how it's the "p.s" section of the post that got most people picturing images! Wait.. does that mean you guys actually CAN picture me pulling off a stunt like that? O.O

Hehe~ thanks be to Daddy ^-^

Anonymous said...

:) Well, not you per se... well, at least not yet. :) You are 'quite' an animated character (creature), and imagination does play a big part in (the conception, creation and production of) animation. ;)